Bovine Collagen is one type of collagen you may have come across. In this post, we'll go over everything you need to know about bovine collagen, from its origins, to how it varies from other collagen sources, such as marine collagen, and the wait time before noticing improvements in your hair, skin and nails. Let's get started.
Is the Nutrabytes Bovine Collagen Halal and Kosher?
Yes, our bovine collagen products are both halal and kosher! Though this may not be the case for all…
In its most basic sense, “halal” means permissible in Arabic. Therefore, for a supplement to be halal it must be:
- Free from anything prohibited by Islamic law (e.g. pork products)
- Manufactured and stored using equipment cleaned according to Islamic law.
Similarly for a product to be “kosher”, meaning fit or proper, the supplement must be:
- Satisfying the requirements of Jewish law.
- Manufactured and stored using equipment cleaned according to Jewish law.
When looking to see if a product is halal or kosher, first scan for a halal or kosher certification. However, if you are unable to find one then they may still be halal or kosher. The best thing to do is contact the company and inquire about the preparation of their products. Here at Nutrabytes, not to worry, all of our products are both Halal and Kosher. Please feel free to reach out for any more information.
What’s the difference between marine and bovine collagen?
If you’ve come across Bovine Collagen, you may have come across Marine Collagen. But what’s the difference?
1. Source of collagen
Well first is the source of the collagen. Marine collagen is extracted from the scales and skin of fish, whereas Bovine collagen is extracted from cows.
2. Types of collagens (and the resulting impact on the body)
There are 28 different “types” of collagens in the human body but three types – Type I, Type II, and Type III – make up about 90% of all that collagen. Each has a different role in your body:
- Type I: 90% of your body's collagen is Type I. It is made of densely packed fibres, providing structure to skin, bones, tendons, fibrous cartilage, connective tissue, and teeth.
- Type II: Made of more loosely packed fibres. Type II collagen makes up 70-95% of all cartilage and is hence found in elastic cartilage, which cushions your joints.
- Type III: Performs similar functions to type I collagen – which means it helps maintain the health and structure of the skin, bones, muscles, tendons, ligaments, blood vessels, and organs but works alongside Type III in cartilage.
At Nutrabytes, our Marine Collagen contains Type I (95%) and Type III (5%). Our Bovine Collagen contains Type I (90%) and Type III (10%).
The type you opt for ultimately comes down to your dietary requirements and the benefits you’re more focused on.
How long does it take for bovine collagen to work?
The eagerly anticipated answer...how long does it take to see results? This is very dependent on the individual, as well as the exact advantage that you are focusing on. All the below data is from scientific studies.
- Skin: On average, it takes 6-12 weeks to see improvements in the skin elasticity, hydration and density
- Joints and tendons: 3– 6 months is the recommended time period before feeling relief from joint pain
- Hair and nails: Approximately 6 months is the timeframe before seeing results in your hair quality and nail strength.
We know that these times can feel like ages! Many of these trials used minimal dosages of collagen starting at 2.5 grams. But not to worry, Nutrabytes Bovine collagen contains 10,000 mg of hydrolysed Bovine collagen peptides. In other words, we have the highest potency available in the market currently.
And here’s another thing, our Bovine Collagen is toxin-free including antibiotics and other drugs. How do we make sure of this? Our Bovine Collagen is extracted from grass-fed, pasture-raised cattle raised in a happy and healthy environment to provide the highest quality collagen to you.
Should I take Liquid or Powder Bovine Collagen?
This is very dependent on personal preference. If you prefer unflavoured collagen, we recommend our powder, where as our liquid has a berry flavour.
Both our liquid Bovine Collagen and Powder Bovine Collagen contain 10,000 mg hydrolysed peptides. However, the powder contains just pure peptides with no added ingredients. Our liquid product, is enhanced with hyaluronic acid, biotin, silica and Vitamin B12 and C.